Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mythic Fiction

This week I read Ananzi Boys by Neil Gaiman and I have also read the Sandman graphic novels too. I love his writing style because he has such a sense of humor that's subtle but noticeable. I find myself laughing throughout his books that I read. Any way I liked Ananzi Boys however I wish that I would have picked a different story to read for this week because this book was taking place in the real world and I guess I wanted to read something a little less familiar. Since I have read the Sandman books I would rather talk about that because I thought it was so unique to recreate the mythological stand points of several different myths. There was some Greek mythos and I also recognized Thor and Loki being in the midst of this series which is Norse mythos. One example of recreating a myth is the Thor and Loki example. Loki is portrayed in this story as a bad guy I mean it's stated that he is a trickster but the way he talks and what he does goes beyond basic trickery. I also found it really interesting the way they were drawn and designed for this project. I think next year or maybe in a year further down the road you should offer that as a reading choice for one of the weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment