Sunday, February 2, 2014

Gothic Post

When I think of gothic I think of dark, cool color pallets, I think of tragedy (in most gothic films or stories there is a line of tragedy flowing through the story) I think of large towering castles and cathedrals. In my generation I feel like the sense of gothic was in a "clique" I saw at high school. They wore trip pants painted their nails black, all they wore was black, had long dyed black hair and the majority drank and did drugs. Also I think it started carrying into cartoons and shoes such as Invader Zim, Elvira, or even the recent movies made of The Adams Family but as the years went on and the gothic genre grew they added some comedy. But something prominent about the gothic genre is a love tension. A thin line between lust and love and weather its feasible to enter into that relationship. One of my favorite versions of Frankenstein has Robert De Niro as the monster and it is a perfect fit for what I see as a Gothic film. The tragedy would be the relationship between creator and the created or in this case the lack there of. Also the night Frankenstein's wife dies at the hand of his creation which would then cause him to bring her back to life and she was so disgusted she then destroyed herself. It's all about love and the lack of such for the first creation (even though he has sense of good morals which is why I like this version) and a long line of tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment