Sunday, February 2, 2014

Japanese Horror

I would like to begin with this type of horror that we covered this week blows America's horror right out of the water. I spend a lot of time watching horror films (and mostly to empathize with the killer because there is usually a reason as to why they are killers and that is especially the case in this horror). The second film we saw in class and Audition was scary to me and that says a lot. I feel like Audition was a very psychological film and I really do feel bad for the girl no matter how psychotic she is. Not saying that's how you should respond when your love life goes wrong but I can still level with her. Another thing about this movie is that I couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. I couldn't tell if maybe he dreamed the whole thing up or if she really annihilated him and he was dreaming about dreaming about her annihilating him (which would cross into inception territory) but regardless it was a very good film that kept my attention the whole time guessing what would happen next and questioning what was real and what wasn't. Another connection I made (as far as ghost and spirit stories go) is I kind of feel like people want to put a face to tragic things. It's like the question why would bad things happen to good people but these ghost stories kind of give a persona to why. Like the Greeks when they created their gods and demigods. When ships wrecked at sea the Greeks created Poseidon in the Snow Woman they created a female spirit to explain why people froze to death in a snow storm (or at least in that film).

No comments:

Post a Comment